Saturday, January 22, 2011

Championship Round

Well that was not pretty.  Another week. Another 1-3 straight up and 2-2 against the spread.  It is looking like I should attach a warning to these picks advising of the fact that apparently I have no idea what I am talking about.  Now I can say that the Bears came through and I was right that the Jets would keep it closer than the 9.5 point spread but, boy, was I way off on the Falcons. Which was stupid of me because I have been telling people for at least a month that I thought the Falcons were frauds.  Not sure why I forgot that last week. 

On another totally disheartening note, the lovely Better Half yet again hit on 3 of the 4 games.  So you there you go.  As always the moral of the story is that I may talk more about something but she still seems to end up right. OK. Let’s keep it short & sweet this week and see what teams I can jinx this week.

Packers at Bears (+3)


1st Meeting: Week 3. Bears kick a short field goal with 4 seconds left to capture the win in an ugly game that featured three turnovers and 23 penalties (18 by Green Bay).

2nd Meeting at Chicago: Week 17.  Pack needed win to get into playoffs. Varying accounts of whether the Bears actually cared.  Pack win defensive grudge match 10-3 on a 4th Quarter Aaron Rodgers TD pass.

3rd Meeting: Well I have picked against the Packers twice in the last two weeks and, frankly, they’ve made me look a little silly.  Thus, while I will be rooting for the Bears in this game, I am going with the Packers.  (Bears fans probably just breathed a sigh of relief considering my record in the last two weeks).  Atlanta did a decent job of shutting down new hero Starks and the running game and they still got pounded in the air.  I think the Pack just have too many horses for the Bears secondary.  Also Tramon Williams is a ballhawk who should get his hands on at least one rushed Cutler throw.  Packers take it in a lower scoring affair than initially thought.  Pack 20 – Bears 17.

Better Half Pick: Packers


J-E-T-S at Stillers (-3)


1st Meeting at Pittsburgh:  Week 15. Jets shock almost everyone by shaking off their shellacking in New England and stunning loss at home to the Dolphins to go into the Burgh and beat the Steel Workers 22-17. 

2nd Meeting:  I really want to pick the Jets in this one. It would be fun to be here when my local team is in the Super Bowl.  Unfortunately, I think last week against the Pats was the Jets Super Bowl.  Rex got those guys so fired up to go against Belichick and Brady (I mean, did you see Bart Scott after the game) that there has to be some kind of let down. Couple that with the fact that it is extremely difficult to beat a team twice on its home field and all signs point to a big W in Blitzburgh. Yet, in spite of all that, I am going to go against all logic and pick the Jets.  No other team this year has a team of destiny feel to them except the Jets. Because of Hard Knocks people have been interested since day one and I think the pull off another grinder.  Do I feel good about this pick? Not in the slightest.    Steelers 17 – Jets 23
 

Better Half Pick: Pittsburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment