Tuesday, October 26, 2010

NBA Predictions


Quick break from the Curses for a few minutes. Tonight is the NBA's opening night. I can honestly say that I am as excited about this season of the NBA as I have been in a long time. Growing up in Salt Lake, I am obviously a big Jazz homer and this years team is one of the most interesting in recent years. The additions of Al Jefferson, Raja Bell and Gordon Heyward are very crafty by GM Kevin O'Connor and I think they will mesh well. Also remember the name Jeremy Evans. He is a 6' 9" forward who is pencil-thin but Sloan apparently loves him and he brings to mind favorable comparisons to Tayshaun Prince. Just a little FYI. Also I think Heyward will turn some heads. But outside of my personal bias for the Jazz, there were huge moves throughout the league this year. Not withstanding Miami Thrice, there was Boozer to the Bulls, Amare to the Knicks, Shaq to the Celts, return of Blake Griffin, etc. etc. With all this hoopla going on I thought I would commemorate my thoughts on how it will all shake out. I've included how each division will [mostly not] finish up, the playoff order, and how the playoffs will unfold. Also I've got some awards because everyone loves awards. Will any of these pan out? Much like my Twins-Phillies World Series pick, I doubt it. But, hey, it's opening day so even the lowliest team should be brimming with optimism. Well, maybe not the T-Wolves.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic
  1. Boston (2)
  2. New York Knicks (8)
  3. Philadelphia
  4. NJ Nets (As my new local team, I hope they are especially bad so tickets are cheap and plentiful)
  5. Toronto


Central
  1. Milwaukee (3) - Won't have the 3rd best record but I think this is how the playoffs work
  2. Chicago (6)
  3. Detroit (7)
  4. Indiana
  5. Cleveland


Southeast
  1. Miami (1)
  2. Orlando (4)
  3. Atlanta (5)
  4. Washington
  5. Charlotte

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Northwest
  1. Oklahoma City (1)
  2. Utah (4)
  3. Portland (5)
  4. Denver (8)
  5. Minnesota


Southwest
  1. Dallas (3)
  2. Houston (6)
  3. San Antonio (7)
  4. Memphis
  5. New Orleans
Pacific
  1. Lakers (2)
  2. Clippers (!)
  3. Phoenix
  4. Golden State Steph Currys
  5. Sac-Town



PLAYOFFS

WEST:

1st: OKC over DEN; Lakers over Spurs; DAL over Houston; Jazz over Blazers
Semi: Jazz over OKC; Lakers over Mavs
Final: Lakers over Jazz (Can't believe I would write this on a blog no one will read)

EAST:

1st: Heat over Knicks; Boston over Pistons; Bulls over Bucks; Orlando over the Hawks
Semi: Orlando over Heat; Bulls over Boston
Final: Orlando over Bulls

NBA Finals

Lakers over Orlando in 6. Three-peat, ugh



Awards

MVP : Kevin Durant
Rookie: Blake Griffin
Coach: Jerry Sloan (It's about effin time)
Defensive : Dwight Howard
Sixth Man: Ty Lawson
Most Improved: Andrew Bogut makes a big leap

So now...Let the games begin and let these predictions start becoming WAY off.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the Bulls love. Agree with you to have the Bucks over us for the regular season due to Boozer's injury. If Bogut doesn't come back completely healthy they could be in some trouble. Don't get sucked into the Magic....they still rely way too much on the Carter/Lewis crapfest. Hate Boston, but love them this year

    ReplyDelete