Friday, November 5, 2010

What's Up With That : Utah Utes

On the eve of one of the biggest football games in Runnin' Ute history, I thought I would usher in a new type of post I like to call "What's up with that."


Utah Utes Record when I lived 3.6 miles away from Rice-Eccles Stadium (1985-2000) :  104-91, 53% winning percentage. Notable Bowl Games: 1992 Copper Bowl v. Washington St. (L); 1993 Freedom Bowl v. USC (L)(This was an L I experienced in person); 1994 Freedom Bowl v. Arizona (W); 1996 Copper Bowl v. Wisconsin (Thrashed 38-10); 1999 Las Vegas Bowl v. Fresno St. (W). Highest finish: 10th in the AP in 1994.

Utes Record since (2001-present) : 90-29, 76% winning percentage.  Notable Bowl Games: 2003 Liberty Bowl v. Southern Miss (W); 2004 Fiesta Bowl v. Pitt (W); 2005 Emerald Bowl v. Ga Tech (W); 2007 Poinsettia Bowl v. Navy (W); 2008 Sugar Bowl v. Alabama.  Highest finishes: #4 in AP in 2004; #2 in the AP poll in 2008.  2 Undefeated Seasons! 7 straight bowl victories.


I mean, What's up with that?  I get that teams ebb and flow but the Utes success in the last ten years is pretty remarkable.  And with their move to the Pac-10 next season, things should only get brighter. Whittingham and his staff already recruit the hell out of California and now being in a major conference will continue to up their stock nationally.  The people of the SLC should be very excited for things to come. 

As for this Saturday's game, I am on the fence.  The Horned Frogs are pretty darn good on O and D but the Utes get good home crowds and the Muss should be rocking Rice-Eccles Saturday afternoon. Even so I guess I'm gonna be a hater and take TCU and the points (-4.5).  TCU's D should be able to slow Jordan Wynn enough for the Andy Dalton to get a lead.  I hate to do it but what can you say:

No comments:

Post a Comment